Skip to main content

Day 122/365: Macro Crystal World

Roo loves to collect crystals and fossils. I quite fancied taking some macro shots today and I thought that his collection might make a good subject matter. Macro requires such a different set of skills. I fiddled about for a while but finally found that the best results came with a narrow aperture such as f/20 or so and placing my camera on a stable surface. I used Live Focus, zoomed in and focused manually. It is fun to really push the image in editing. I push clarity way up, way beyond the point that I would ever use on a human subject. I also had some fun playing with colours. It is liberating to not have to think about skin tone.





I did miss the human element though, so I got my little people out to play around with. It would have been so much more fun if these guys were well painted! I am either going to have to get some better ones or paint them myself. It is amazing how shallow depth of field is when using macro, even at those high apertures. 


Comments