Skip to main content

Day 54: Stepping into the Frame

This evening, I managed to locate my tripod and put it to use. The results of our photo session are ... interesting. I want to get into the habit of taking pictures of myself with the children. Whole family shots are very rare too, and I would like to change that.  I decided to use our new sofa as the setting. There wasn't enough space for the 50mm and I changed to the kit lens. This may explain the quality of the pictures to some degree. I did say that I wanted to play around with the kit lens to get a feel for different focal lengths.

One of the problems with this set up is that it makes the kids go nuts! I was motivated to dig out my tripod after reading this  tutorial. I was so touched by the beautiful pictures this woman captured. It made the role of motherhood look so blissful and tranquil.

I got this...

f/3.5; 1/160; ISO 800 - focal length 18mm

And this...

f/3.5; 1/160; ISO 800 - focal length 18mm


Let's not forget this...

f/3.5; 1/160; ISO 800 - focal length 18mm

And this...

f/3.5; 1/160; ISO 800 - focal length 18mm

And this...

f/3.5; 1/160; ISO 800 - focal length 18mm


And about a million more like it. 

Clearly this concept needs some development. The first thing to change will be that picture in the background. It is so distracting. As I now know, the number one thing that attracts attention in photographs is light. No doubt the second thing that draws attention here is a cheeky rascal, or two!!

The aperture wouldn't go any wider than f/3.5 but I wouldn't have wanted it to anyway. I have made a decision to experiment with keeping a higher shutter speed for a while. This left me with an ISO of 800. I turned the noise reduction to strong. Given that there was no risk of camera shake, I am disappointed that none of the pictures look particularly sharp. The only factors to blame are ISO and poor lens. 

We have tried this idea before in the past. This is one of out family favourites, taken just before Bear was born


This one worked reasonably well too. Roo is covering his face, but two out of three looking at the camera and smiling is about the best I can hope for. 





Roo and I are off on a mini adventure tomorrow. We are flying over to Ireland to see my family for a couple of nights. We are very excited to see everyone and take lots and lots of pictures. 

Comments